Sunday, January 07, 2007

Always wash your apples


I recently attended a face-to-face talk about the Multi-level Marketing (MLM) business that distributes health products, which includes the detoxifying body supplements. It was interesting when one of the members told me that the unripe apples were soaked in fungicides in a container for weeks until the apples skin were wrinkled. Then, the apples undergo wax treatment, whereby the wrinkled skin also restored its original shape with add on shine due to wax. He even added that I should notice that apples only start rotting from the center and not rot from the outside first.

At first, I didn't quite believe this. But as I did some research myself, I found that there is some truth. There was a research done to determine whether it is necessary to peel the apples.

From the above article, I believe the 'wrinkle' texture is probably due to the brine and nitrogen used for refrigeration storage for 6 months. The article indicates that it is still safe to eat those fungicide-treated apples. Anyway, I do suspect this might be a conspiracy but I was secretly glad that it is still safe to eat the apples so long as you wash the apples thoroughly. I love to eat the apples with the skin so I wouldn't want to exclude that from my diet and peel off the precious skin from the apples.

Personally, I have eaten apples regularly and I saw the benefits outweigh the scary pesticides story. Still the decision is yours to eat with or without the apple skin, but you definitely need to wash your apples thoroughly before storage and eating.

No comments: