Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Lose Weight With Food Scent

Being able to enjoy eating food is a luxury to most of us. However, sometimes it gets a little harder to control the weight and we are often seeking for the pills that slim us down. The good news here is that it exist so long as your sense of smell is still sensitive.

Research Study has shown that overweight people who take time to sniff their food aromas are able to lose weight. More than 3000 overweight people participated in a trial and were given an inhaler containing the scent of apple, banana or peppermint whenever they felt hungry. This study was performed over a period of six months. The results show that the more frequently the subjects sniffed, the more weight they lose.

This finding means that you can use your scent to reduce your weight, though it may not be suitable for asthmatic conditions or people who lose their sense of smell. The following are some tips recommended to make use of the scent therapy to lose weight.

1) Take Time to sniff your food

Most of us, including me would charge into their meals once settled down while others might be busy chatting, reading or distracted while feeding themselves. There is just no habit to intensely smell the food before eating because most often, we take it for granted that we have smelled the food as we passed by or near to the kitchen. Perhaps, it is time to test it out.

2) Chew your food thoroughly

I have ever heard a friend telling me I should chew at least 10 times on my food to ensure that my food is properly digested. I have tried this once and honestly, I think the food become a little less appetizing to me and I end up speeding up on my food again. Perhaps, I was also rushing for time.

3) Opt for fresh and hot Food

Fresh, hot and unprocessed food typically gives more taste to the meal. The strong food scent would in turn be able to help you by stimulating your olfactory bulb and in turn makes you less hungry and full quite quickly. Needless to say, hot food typically gives more scent than the cold ones.

4) Add a strong herb or spice

As I mentioned in my earlier post on how to reduce your fat intake, strong spice can excite your food and reduce the salt you need to put into the food. In addition, the scent also saturates your sense of smell and thus suppress your appetitie.

5) Bring an apple with you

Green apples are the most hardy and I reccommend you use this fruit to stimulate your sense of smell whenever you feel hungry. If you are working at your desk most of the time, put the apple in front of you and clear away your titbits that is laid infront of your desk. This can help you to more effectively suppress your appetite.

Other related articles

1) Smell and Taste Treatment and Research Foundation

No comments: